|78 Years ☆ 4 Generations ☆ 1 Family ☆ 1 Commitment |
Our company was founded in 1939 on strong family values like fortitude, foresight, honesty, and integrity; with the commitment to always offer a higher-quality product at a fair price and to always have the most experienced people on staff. We believe these three factors give you the best overall value that money can buy.
In 1939 the late Amandus D. Moyer purchased and disassembled the famed wooden roller coaster at the Sanatoga Amusement Park, and hauled the lumber to his home in Gilbertsville, PA to be sold to his customers. That home became the present location of the company's Gilbertsville headquarters, and so the legacy of A.D. Moyer Lumber began.
This initial supply of repurposed lumber was depleted after a short time, leading Amandus to travel to the coal regions of Pennsylvania to purchase, dismantle and haul the lumber from a coal cracker back to Gilbertsville in order to continue servicing the needs of his customers.
New lumber was added in 1940 and other building materials soon followed. In the mid 1950's Amandus' sons, Francis and Donald, joined the business as the company continued to prosper. Buildings, offices and warehouses were added as were additional delivery trucks and the company's first forklift. Experiencing the need for a second location, the Pottstown yard was opened at Armand Hammer Boulevard in 1974 on the site of a local baseball field.
In 1980 Donald Moyer passed away. Shortly thereafter, his son Scott became one of the owners. In 1982 the Gilbertsville store expanded into an 8,000 square foot complete home center. In 1985 the company doubled the size of the Pottstown store to 12,800 square feet, and in 1987 added a second 8,000 square foot warehouse at Pottstown. In 1988 the millwork shop was enlarged at the Gilbertsville yard to increase storage area.
In the 1990's both locations concentrated heavily on making operations fully computerized with design capabilities for decks, garages, Andersen windows and doors, paint color matching and kitchens and baths. In 1993 Terry Moyer, son of Francis, became a partner in the business and In 1994 A.D. Moyer expanded its store hours to better serve its customer's needs.
In the summer of 1995, A.D. Moyer celebrated the opening of a third location in Birdsboro, PA to better serve eastern Berks county. 1997 saw the passing of Francis Moyer, leaving Scott and Terry as the business partners, and the company procured the development of admoyer.com to establish its presence on the internet. In 2014 the company celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
In 1984 Francis and his son Gary independently opened Moyer Lumber & Hardware in Bethlehem, PA at the site of the former New Penn Trucking company, where the terminal was converted into a warehouse with an 8,000 square foot retail store in the front. In 1986 an additional two acres of land behind the property were purchased to expand the yard, and in 1987 a new 9,300 square foot warehouse was constructed. Following the passing of Francis in 1997, Moyer Lumber continued to be owned and operated by Gary until October of 2013 when he sold the business to Scott and Terry.
Today, A.D. Moyer and Moyer Lumber continue to be viable contributors to the growth rates and economies of the communities they serve with a fourth generation of family entering leadership and employees that average more than 20 years experience each in the industry. The company is eternally dedicated to providing knowledgeable and reliable service, with high quality products at a fair price, and continues to be on the leading edge of incorporating the latest technologies of the industry into its business.
Top: Amandus D. Moyer and the Sanatoga Roller Coaster
Center: Amandus D. Moyer with truck
Bottom: (L to R) Doug, Clint, Scott, Terry, Erik, and Alex Moyer (2014)